Saturday, September 26, 2009

Spanish Inspired Chicken (Sauce)



We've been very tight on money lately, so today was the type of day where I literally look through the cabinets and pull out ideas.

Unfortunately, all I saw were packaged noodles, chicken stock, a bag of freeze dried potato flakes and one tomato.
In the freezer, we had a bag of frozen chicken and two beef patties.
On the bright side, I have a gazillion spices.

This was not too hard, as I am sure you can tell. I usually only need to feed two people; Lovey and myself.

A light went off when I thought about the tomato. It was perfect.


Spanish Inspired Chicken






A few years ago while I was still in High School, we had a cultural food event, where students would bring in dishes that had been passed down in their families.
I recalled my favorite dish from this event: chicken slow cooked in a tomato base. An older girl who had descendants from South America, arrived with a foil platter of this mouth watering, off the bone chicken.

I have no idea what else was put inside of it, so I was really just "winging it" when I put together my ingredients.at

So, below is my own, personal interpretation (and a lot quicker) of this lovely dish. ( IT WAS DELICIOUS!)

I will warn you, I will be using curry to season my chicken. You should also know that the chicken was not spicy at all! The taste reminded me of Kentucky Fried Chicken seasonings without the breaded and fried part.

Sauce Recipe:
(Serves 2)

1 Tomato, chopped or diced (I used a vine tomato)
1 Tbs Olive Oil
1 Tsp Garlic Powder (or to taste, as always)
1/2 Tsp White Vinegar
1/2 Tsp Ketchup

Dash of Lemon Pepper
(Have butter or margarine on hand!)

  • In a small saute pan, I recommend adding the Olive Oil first, as well as the diced/chopped tomatoes
  • I personally just sift the tomato skins out, but that is up to you.
  • On a medium heat, add garlic powder and lemon pepper
  • Simmer for five minutes, then taste sauce for garlic intensity and acidity
If sauce is too acidic for you, do not add White Vinegar or Ketchup

Adding butter or margarine will level the acidity and complement the garlic, but this is up to you. I reccomend 1-2 Tbs





Chicken Preparations:

My chicken was prepared and cooked in a very simple manner.

3 Large, skinless and boneless tenders

Olive Oil

Curry

Black Pepper

No MSG salt

  • MED HIGH Heat
  • In a large pan, drizzle Olive Oil
  • Place Chicken in Pan
  • Sprinkle salt, curry and black pepper on chicken
  • Cover Pan for Eight Minuets
  • Turn Chicken over for Eight Minutes
  • Check if chicken is fully cooked
If you chose to use the curry, the chicken should be a mustard yellow color. (Let me know if you taste the KFC!)


Last, drizzle sauce on top of chicken, as well as tomatoes. I paired my dish with the potato flakes (yes, very yummy!)




3 comments:

  1. YUM....I can almost smell it from here!
    Thanks for commenting at my place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah It looks and sounds very tasty! I will be checking in on more recipes! Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete